Take this great article by Bill Rice. I’m not a salesperson. Not even close. I can cop to being “business development,” but that just means “salesman that doesn’t know how to close. And we know about closers, don’t we?
Bill’s advice: know when you are just shuffling things around, and get back to the fundamentals. It’s perfect advice. I think what’s best about it is that I can apply it to my use of social media tools.
Know When You’re Just Shuffling
- Are you editing your profiles and pictures on all your social sites? Is this really worth it?
- Are you reading Twitter just because you have nothing else to do?
- Are you signing up to the next shiny object just because?
- Are you over-subscribed to blogs and podcasts?
- Are you just focusing on your stuff and not the larger community?
Get Back to the Fundamentals
- Keep a steady and established habit and pace.
- Be clear about your goals.
- Fish or cut bait, but not both.
- Do big work first.
- Stop whining. (Loved Bill’s advice here).
See? I got that out of a sales post. Where else could I find influence? Where else could YOU? Keep your eyes open for how to apply learning from other fields into what you’re doing. It will round out what you’re doing. I promise. What do you think?
Read Bill’s article for more ideas about sales, and maybe, think how it applies to you.
The Social Media 100 is a project by Chris Brogan dedicated to writing 100 useful blog posts in a row about the tools, techniques, and strategies behind using social media for your business, your organization, or your own personal interests. Swing by [chrisbrogan.com] for more posts in the series, and if you have topic ideas, feel free to share them, as this is a group project, and your opinion matters.
ChrisBrogan.com runs on the Genesis Framework
The Genesis Framework empowers you to quickly and easily build incredible websites with WordPress. Whether you're a novice or advanced developer, Genesis provides you with the secure and search-engine-optimized foundation that takes WordPress to places you never thought it could go.
With automatic theme updates and world-class support included, Genesis is the smart choice for your WordPress website or blog.
- Find out more about the framework features
- Check out the Genesis demo and the wide variety of child themes
- See example designs in the Genesis design showcase