Every week, I get a few blog posts and a few dozen tweets that say I’ve jumped the shark, that I’m not a good marketer, that I’ve really gone and done it this time. Something. There’s always someone with a good opinion on why I’m not worth it, why you can’t understand the hype, why it’s all nothing new, etc.
Every week, I smile and appreciate the feedback. That’s what you do with feedback. You mine it to see if there’s something of value. You take the better parts. You consider the lenses that people use to say what they’ve said, and you move forward.
The funny part, to me, is that over the last year, while every week I have somehow been called out for something bad I’ve done, I’ve also done the following (forgive my bragging; it’s my birthday today):
- Launched a company that started in the black and finished strong in its first year.
- Doubled my company’s revenue in the first few months of 2010.
- Worked with over 20 Fortune 100 and Fortune 500 clients.
- Co-wrote a New York Times and Wall Street Journal bestselling book.
- Wrote and published another successful book.
- Helped launch a successful online marketing community forum.
- Spoke professionally at over 100 events globally in front of tens of thousands of people.
- Raised money for different charity projects every month of 2009, and on track for every month of 2010.
- Appeared on Dr. Phil, in BusinessWeek, The Wall Street Journal, and several other publications.
- And gave you something to think about just about every day of the year.
While you’re over there blogging about my demise, I’ll be over here figuring out the future and being helpful to as many people as I can.
Show me a shark. I’ll jump it. (No, not you, Georgia Aquarium, but you were kind to offer.)
Update: Kenneth Lim reminded me of this great video Colin Browning did last year:
ChrisBrogan.com runs on the Genesis Framework
The Genesis Framework empowers you to quickly and easily build incredible websites with WordPress. Whether you're a novice or advanced developer, Genesis provides you with the secure and search-engine-optimized foundation that takes WordPress to places you never thought it could go.
With automatic theme updates and world-class support included, Genesis is the smart choice for your WordPress website or blog.
- Find out more about the framework features
- Check out the Genesis demo and the wide variety of child themes
- See example designs in the Genesis design showcase